Skip to main content

About Advising

What services does the Advising office provide?

We provide new PPCC students and prospective students with an on-campus resource of academic advice and support, degree and course planning and registration assistance. We also provide career counseling through appointments, assessments and job placement training.

What can I expect from Advising?

  • Discussion of Placement test results
  • Discussion about your degree or certificate program and your academic goals
  • To be assigned a Program and Faculty Advisor
  • Review of courses taken at PPCC and transferred to PPCC
  • Resource and referral information
  • Registration information
  • Encouragement for students to be proactive in their course selection.

How do I choose a degree or certificate program?

You choose a certificate or degree program based on your career and/or educational goals. We'll help you determine the correct course of study and explore options if you wish to transfer to a four year college or university.

How do I declare my Course of Study?

If you did not select a course of study when you applied to PPCC or you want to change it, complete the Change of Major form online or in the Advising offices. If necessary, a new Program and Faculty Advisor will be assigned to you when this is submitted. If you are in the Undeclared or Non-Degree Seeking status you will see a Pathways Advisor first and will not be eligible for Financial Aid and then complete the Change of Major form online or in the Advising offices.

Program Advising

What services does a Program Advisor provide?

Program Advisors provide the same services as above, but also advise students by career clusters. Arts, Business and Hospitality, Health Sciences, Public and Human Services and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) and Applied Sciences. Students will have a consistent academic advisor throughout their time at PPCC if they stay in the same career cluster. If a student changes career clusters, they will be assigned a different Program Advisor.

Program Advisors then assign students to a Faculty Advisor who is an expert in the student's field of study.

How do I know who my Program Advisor is?

If you have already been assigned a Program Advisor, you can find their name listed in the Navigate Resources tab as your Primary Advisor. If you do not have an assigned advisor yet, see the Program Advising pages for a list of degrees and advisors. Students are assigned by their last name to Program Advisors in each career cluster.

When should I talk with my Program Advisor?

It is ideal if you meet with your Program Advisor at least once a semester. You can set up long-term plans in both Navigate and Degree Check with them and adjust those as necessary throughout your time at PPCC. When you have questions related to academic/class-related issues and especially prior to each registration. You may also need to talk with your Program Advisor if you are on academic probation or need to do a Financial Aid appeal. Registration typically opens in March for Summer and Fall and October for Spring.

Do I need to meet with my Program Advisor every semester?

Meeting with your Program Advisor can help to ensure that you achieve your educational goals in a timely and cost-effective manner. It is highly recommended that you make contact via appointment, e-mail or phone call prior to each registration.

What if I can’t get a hold of my Program Advisor?

Stop by any Advising office on any campus to ask for an appointment, sign in during their walk-in hours, contact them by their e-mail or by writing to

Note: Program Advisors do not take appointments the last two weeks of registration or during the first week of classes in order to help serve the most students during peak registration. Feel free to inquire where your Program Advisor is during those weeks and walk-in for time with them. But, you will need to wait to see them as any other walk-in students. It is always best to schedule appointments before these busy times!

Faculty Advising

What is the role of my assigned Faculty Advisor?

A Faculty Advisor is an expert instructor in their program and helps students understand the requirements and timetable that each student must meet including course work, academic standards, how to graduate and transferring to other colleges or universities. They also prepare students to be competitive for employment, providing a realistic view of the field and the current job market, as well as making use of professional contacts for the benefit of their students.

When should I talk with my Faculty Advisor?

When you have questions related to academic/class-related issues and especially prior to each registration. Registration typically opens in March/April for Summer and Fall and October/November for Spring.

How do I change my Faculty Advisor?

Contact your Program Advisor in the Advising office and request a change or e-mail The change will be made as soon as possible and your new Faculty Advisor’s name will be in Degree Check.

Do I need to meet with my Faculty Advisor every semester?

Meeting with your Faculty Advisor can help to ensure that you achieve your educational goals in a timely and cost-effective manner. It is highly recommended that you make contact prior to each registration and especially the semester before you wish to graduate.

What if I can’t get a hold of my Faculty Advisor?

Contact your Program Advisor for up-to-date information or stop in at any Advising office for Faculty Advisor contact information. Locate more contact information through the Campus Directory under the Welcome tab in the myPPCC portal. Or you may contact the appropriate instructional division to make an appointment. It is always best to make an appointment with your Faculty Advisor (either phone or in-person) to assure time with them due to their limited advising hours.


Are there online instructions on how to register?

Yes. You may find instructions in the PDF version of the Class Schedule online or you can find How to Register for Classes on the Advising Resources web page.

Why can’t I register online because of a prerequisite/test error?

You may need to take the placement test, present your ACT/SAT scores, or submit transcripts from previous college-level coursework. These determine your placement for English, Reading and Math. If you have taken college-level courses at another college or university, you may need to present your unofficial transcripts to Testing for waivers of college-prep courses. Go to the Testing webpage for more information before you visit Advising.

What do my placement scores mean?

Placement scores determine your readiness for college-level Math, Reading and English. If you do not test into college-level English or Math courses, you will need to complete College Prep/Developmental Studies coursework. Drop in to Advising for score interpretation.

What is “Add/Drop”?

Find your class Drop/Withdrawal dates through the myPPCC portal under the Student Tab and in the Registration Tools box through the Detailed Student Schedule and the Add or Drop Classes link. You may need an instructor's permission in certain cases and a paper Registration/Class Adjustment Form. You may drop a class online or come in to any Enrollment Services Office. Note: Always consult with Financial Aid, Veterans Affairs or Active-Duty Military advisors before you drop classes. Find Financial Aid policies through the Student Finance tab.

What does it mean to “Withdraw” from a course?

Withdrawing from a course after the drop date does not entitle you to a refund. You can withdraw from a course through the myPPCC portal or by submitting a Registration/Class Adjustment Form to any Enrollment Services Office prior to the deadline date for Withdrawals. A “W” grade will appear on your transcript for all official withdrawals. Prior to withdrawing, check with Enrollment Services to understand how dropping courses may affect your Financial Aid. Find your class Drop/Withdrawal dates through the myPPCC portal under the Student Tab and in the Registration Tools box then through the Detailed Student Schedule link.

How will a “W” affect my transcript?

A grade of “W” will not affect your cumulative GPA. Instead of a grade for the course, a “W” will be listed on your PPCC transcript. Note: Always consult with Financial Aid, Veterans Affairs or Active-Duty Military advisors before you drop or withdraw from classes. Find Financial Aid policies through the Student Finance tab.

Understanding Credits

How many credit hours are considered “full time”?

Typically full-time is 4-5 classes which equal 12-15 credit hours in a semester. This includes the summer semester. You can see in the Catalog the number of credit hours for each course and they are listed on the schedule. Note: If you are receiving Veterans Affairs funding, check with our VA Office at the Centennial Campus (719-502-4100) to confirm minimum number of credits for summer semesters.

What is the maximum number of credit hours I may take in one semester?

18 credit hours. If you want to enroll in more credit hours, please contact your Program Advisor.

What are “prerequisites” and “co-requisites”?

A “prerequisite” is a course you need to complete before registering for a particular course. A “co-requisite” is a course you must complete along with another course. You must sign up for both courses if a co-requisite is listed.

What is a credit hour?

A credit hour is a measure of completed college work. Usually colleges give one credit hour for each hour of class time during the week. For example, MAT 121 (College Algebra) is a 4 credit course. You can expect to spend roughly 4 hours per week in your MAT 121 course.

How many credits should I take per semester?

Each course is assigned a number of credit hours.



Recommended Semester Credit Hours

1 credit = approximately 1 classroom “contact” hour


40 hours per week

6-9 semester hours

Courses vary in credits.


30 hours per week

8-11 semester hours

For every 1 hour of class there will be 1.5-2 hours of

out-of-class reading, writing and study.


20 hours per week

10-13 semester hours

Transfer Credit

How do I know if courses will transfer to PPCC?

  • PPCC only accepts college-level courses with a grade of C or better from a regionally accredited institution.
  • Certain programs do not accept older courses.
  • There is a 15-year limit to most courses, but an appeal process is available. See your program advisor for more information.
  • Developmental/College Prep courses are not eligible for transfer credit.
  • Courses must meet PPCC’s academic rigor standards and credit hours.
  • To transfer credits, send an official transcript to the Records Office. An official transcript must be sent directly from the originating institution or delivered unopened by you.

What is regional accreditation?

The goal of [regional] accreditation is to ensure that education provided by institutions of higher education meets acceptable levels of quality. Regional accreditation is indicated by a geographic designation under the Higher Learning Commission. Transferable courses must fall within the regionally accredited years. Go to the US Department of Education to see if your previous institutions are regionally accredited.

PPCC is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association, 30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, IL 60602-2504, (312) 263-0456.

Can credit from certifications, work or military experience be considered for credit?

Yes—depending on your Course of Study. Under the Prior Learning for Credit assessment, some of your credit may be considered. Contact the Records Office for more information.

Do my grades from transfer credits count toward my GPA?

No. Only grades earned at PPCC count toward your GPA at PPCC.

How do I prepare for transfer to another college?

Contact the transfer college admissions department. There you will receive important dates and deadlines as well as application, degree and academic program information.

Meet with your PPCC Program and/or Faculty Advisor for specific transfer information and guidance.

Send an official PPCC transcript to the college our university to which you are transferring. You may order an official transcript through the myPPCC portal and under the Student tab and in the Registration Tools box.

General Student Information

What is myPPCC Portal?

The myPPCC portal allows students to manage course registration, pay tuition, view grades, order transcripts, and get information on student services and activities, as well as accessing online classes.

Do I need a student ID card?

Yes. A student ID enables you to use the library, the computer lab or other services. It also entitles you to free or reduced admission to student plays, dances, and other activities. Get your ID card through any Student Life office. A PPCC student ID does not expire. There is a $10 replacement fee for lost or stolen cards.

What is Degree Check?

Degree Check is a comprehensive online academic advising tool and unofficial degree audit that helps you and your advisors successfully negotiate your institution’s curriculum requirements. You are less likely to take courses you don’t need and more likely to stay on a direct path to graduation by using it. Go to Degree Check tutorials and find your Degree Check through the myPPCC portal dashboard and under the Student tab. Note: Degree Check is an unofficial guide. Some degree/career paths are not perfectly reflected in Degree Check. Always consult with your Program and Faculty advisors to assure you are taking the correct courses.

What should I do if I am having academic problems?

First speak with your instructor about the concerns or difficulties. You may also visit Retention Services, the Learning Commons or speak with an advisor in the Advising Office.

How can I get tutoring?

Free small group and one-on-one tutoring is available through the Learning Commons.

More questions?

Advisors are available during regular business hours at any PPCC campus.

Extended hours are offered Monday and Tuesdays until 6:00 p.m. and during registration for each semester.